The Deputy Infrastructure Director will be responsible for managing the two provinces (KP or Punjab) that are the responsibility of the Humqadam-SCRP Infrastructure Department. This includes coordinating, reporting and isolating any important issues for further consideration by the Infrastructure Director, and by the Senior Management Team (SMT). The Infrastructure Department’s responsibilities include the management of surveying, design, procurement, contract management and construction supervision. Primarily responsible for managing the activities related to infrastructure in the two provinces (KP/Punjab) in which Humqadam-SCRP operates and will specifically:
- support the team to identify and deal with issues in a pro-active manner, particularly those related to progress.
- administer and process contractors’ claims that are beyond the capacity of the Construction Managers.
- ensure that there is a consistency of approach across the team to ensure that the best practices and procedures are being used throughout.
- oversee the provincial procurement and help solve issues.
- check to ensure that the Contractors, under the supervision of the Construction Supervision Managers and the Engineers, are fulfilling their requirements in terms of safety, environmental and Quality Management.
- In all of the above activities the Deputy Infrastructure Director will work closely with the ID and SMT members, as necessary, and provide significant assistance to the ID in the role of Engineer, and deputise when required.
Technical Lead Role
- To perform the role of the Technical Lead and proactively identify and resolve issues including delays, major quality concerns, resource shortages (human or otherwise), safety, community and environmental and child labor compliance et al.
- Manage and Lead a team of diverse professionals including design, structure, contracts, procurement, quantity surveyors and filed engineering teams.
- Provide technical guidance to the Construction Supervision Managers, District Managers, Contract/Procurement Team as and when required and advise Senior Management Team on effective implementation of the Programme.
- To mentor and support CSMs and other team members in the performance of their duties.
- Support the SMT in the performance of their roles e.g. making presentations, meeting with DFID & Govt. Technical Advisors.
- Track Non-Conformance Reports and ensure the resolution of issues emanating from the NCR
Construction Supervision and Monitoring
- Manages the provincial and CPMU engineering teams and allocates human resources as necessary
- Provides advice and technical support on all construction;
- Ensures structural integrity of all proposed design options;
- Oversees engineers to ensure work is conducted and completed according to programme standards;
- Performs regular inspections of construction works at different sites
- Works across multiple sites;
Stake Holder Relationship Management
- Establish good relationships within the Head Office, Provincial team and SST. Proactively build effective working relationships with Provincial Education Officers, PTC/SC Members, CCSI members and Contractors; and
- Create a win-win environment by gaining agreement from partners and / or Customers before taking partnership-oriented actions.
- Using Capacity Assessment tools identify project related Infrastructure Engineering capacity of target Customers: PTC/SCs, CCSIs, Contractors, Provincial Team, School Support Team Colleagues, and Self-Development.
Capacity Building / Training Delivery
- Participates in the organization and delivery of Introduction Cluster Training for PTC/SCs, DEOs and CCSIs.
- Delivers Humqadam Engineering technical assistance and capacity building interventions to all Customer segments
- Provides accurate and timely activity based reporting as per project SOPs: weekly, monthly, quarterly etc.
- Provides informative, timely and effectively presented written reports/numerical data as required.
- Collects weekly reports of provincial and district engineers
- Monitors use of, and partakes in use of, Management Information System (MIS)
- Participates in maintaining the CPMU project tracker
- Is responsible for filing all project related documents
- Reports to the Infrastructure Director
Key Internal Relationships
- Infrastructure Director, Directors of Capacity Building; Community Development; Communications and Monitoring and Evaluation; Infrastructure team, Provincial Directors, Team Leader, and Senior Management Team
Key External Relationships
- Education Department Officials, DFID-P officials; and Contractors
Minimum Qualifications and Knowledge Required
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in engineering or a related field, if possible. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 15 years of progressively responsible experience in procurement, contract management, construction supervision, administration or related area.
- Relevant IT skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office and Project and web-based applications, required.
- Experience in infrastructure related procurement systems required.
Note: Due to urgency, the position may be filled any time before closing date.