The Sustaining Health Outcomes through the Private Sector Plus (SHOPS Plus) project is Abt’s follow-on project to USAID’s flagship initiative in private sector health. In Pakistan, SHOPS Plus will scale-up effective diarrhea management approaches through the private sector in Sindh. Scale-up efforts will align with USAID/Pakistan’s previous investment in POUZN, including: a) encouraging a sustainable commercial supply of diarrhea management products in Pakistan; b) increasing use of pediatric zinc among caregivers of children under-five, particularly in the peri-urban and rural areas; c) improving care-giver knowledge of diarrhea management using zinc and low-osmolarity (lo-ORS); and d) improving private provider knowledge and treatment. SHOPS Plus will also complete a private facility census and contribute to Chlorhexidine (CHX) scale-up efforts in through the private sector by improving private provider knowledge of CHX use in Sindh.
SHOPS Plus Pakistan is seeking a Local Country National to serve as the SHOPS Plus Pakistan Chief of Party in Pakistan and have overall responsibility and accountability to USAID/Pakistan for ensuring that the SHOPS Plus project team provides high-quality technical products and services, delivers required results, and uses resources efficiently. The project duration is approximately two years. S/he will provide oversight and approval for workplans, annual reports, and project documents, and ensure that all local procurement and management arrangements meet Abt Associates and USAID requirements. S/he will report to the Asia Regional Manager based in Bethesda to ensure proper coordination and communication for successful project implementation.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
Managerial and technical
- Oversee the coordination and implementation of the SHOPS Plus Pakistan program, including using private sector strategies to 1) improve private provider knowledge and prescription practices of zinc, low osmolarity-ORS (lo-ORS) and CHX; 2) increase use of zinc, lo-ORS and CHX amongst caregivers of children under five and newborns; and 3) conducting a private facility census with an emphasis on maternal, newborn, and child health providers.
- Liaise with USAID, UNICEF, Sindh Department of Health and other stakeholders on diarrhea treatment activities and issues to ensure a collaborative and complementary program
- Identify potential partnerships with other international donors, and relationships and synergies with other USAID projects and programs
- Track progress of project results and ensure proper documentation of workplan status to home office and USAID/Pakistan
- Manage project staff, ensuring that SHOPS Plus runs smoothly
- Ensure the timely preparation and submission of semi-annual report, annual report, and other deliverables specified in the agreement
- Provide management and budgetary oversight on SHOPS Plus project implementation to ensure all activities are completed within the agreed to timeframe and budget
- Ensure all processes and procedures for project implementation are compliant with USAID and Abt policies
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Business Administration, Finance, or other related filed
- Minimum of ten (10) years of relevant professional experience in public health, social or commercial marketing, advertising, or private sector health program or business management
- Experience developing project vision, aligning key stakeholders around that vision, and assuring that the vision is translated into implementable strategies
- Knowledge of Pakistan’s pharmaceutical sector desirable
- Understanding of USAID requirements and programs
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, with demonstrated attention to details.
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Proven professional experience in Pakistan
- Experience developing and implementing private sector strategies to scale-up effective diarrhea management approaches and improve private provider knowledge preferred
- Experience interacting with host county governments and counterparts and international donor agencies at high levels preferred
Please send your resume and a cover letter to SHOPSPlus_Pakistan@abtassoc.com with “SHOPS Plus Pakistan Chief of Party” in the subject line.