Position Summary: Works with design and procurement engineers in providing information necessary both to construct schools, and to verify quantities that have been used in construction. Responsible to evaluate engineering drawings to prepare bills of quantities (BOQs), and to take measurements on site verifying quantities of construction materials that have been used.
Reporting and Supervision: This position reports to Chief Engineer.
Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Produce Bills of Quantity (BOQs) from engineering drawings to quantify materials needed for construction and rehabilitation of schools and related structures;
- Quantify materials used for construction and for rehabilitation of works in order to verify that work has been accomplished according to approved specifications and quantities;
- Prepare detailed cost comparisons for given designs;
- Be able to quantify the materials associated with, and estimate the cost of, demolition works;
- Assist in preparing/grouping generic BOQs per package for tender and contract documents when required;
- Prepare BOQs for rehabilitation works on the basis of assessments of field engineers;
- Undertake cost analyses for repair and maintenance work;
- Identify, analyse, and develop responses to commercial risks;
- Prepare and analyse costs for work bid documents related to rehabilitation of structures;
- Participate in bid evaluation, when required, for both contractors and material suppliers for construction and rehabilitation works;
- Provide advice on contractual claims where variation in BOQs are involved;
- Write reports regarding the analysis of quantities and the verification of contractual invoicing;
- Estimate the value of completed rehabilitation works and arrange payments;
- Assist Infrastructure team by providing quality control input, when needed;
- Provide advice regarding the maintenance costs for specific buildings; and
- Assist with other duties assigned by supervisor.
- Provide informative, timely and effectively presented written reports/numerical data as required.
Minimum Qualification and Experience required:
- Minimum working experience of 3 years with BSc in Civil Engineering from a reputed university or a Diploma Associate Engineer (DAE) in Civil Engineering with 5 years of work experience, preferably working with international organizations.
- The Candidate must have DAE in Civil Engineering (BSC Honors preferable) from a reputed institute.