Balochistan Rural Development and Community Empowerment Programme Technical Assistance
• Master’s degree in any of the following fields: public policy/administration, accounting, business administration, finance, economics/statistics or related disciplines.
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective communication with government and NGO counterparts and stakeholders.
• Strong writing and communication skills.
• Computer literacy (minimum MS Word, Excel)
General professional experience
Specific professional experience
The overall objectiveof the Programme is "to support the Government of Balochistan (GoB) in reducing the negative impact of economic deprivation, poverty and social inequality, environmental degradation and climate change, and to turn this into opportunities to build and empower resilient communities participating actively in identifying and implementing socio-economic development activities on a sustainable basis in partnership with local authorities".
The specific objectives of the project are:
1) to empower citizens and communities and provide them with means enabling them to implement community-driven socio-economic development interventions, and increased voice and capacity to influence public policy decision making through active engagement with local authorities for quality, inclusive, and equitable service delivery, and civic-oversight, and
2) to foster an enabling environment for strengthening the capacities of local governments/authorities to manage and involve communities in the statutory processes of the local public sector planning, financing and implementation process.
The purpose of this Programme is to enable the Government of Balochistan to foster an enabling environment for strengthening the capacities of local government/authorities to manage and involve communities in the statutory local public sector planning, financing, and implementation processes. This shall enable the Government of Balochistan to strategically approach and sustain community-led development and community empowerment by developing and implementing a strategic policy framework that shall ultimately pave the way for adopting a Sector-wide Approach with a GoB-driven policy dialogue, which also serves as the main GoB reference for the development partners' coordination and alignment in Balochistan.
Results to be achieved
By the end of the assignment, technical assistance will have assisted the Government of Balochistan and the BRDCEP partner NGOs to achieve the following results. Cumulatively, these results shall foster a local governance mechanism that enables people, particularly women and marginalised groups to effectively interact with local governments/authorities at all stages of formulation and implementation of local development.
This is the most senior position at the provincial level for the BRDECP Technical Assistance project, requiring a talented, highly experienced person with a demonstrated track record at the senior levels of government or government relations, capable of providing leadership in a challenging and dynamic operational environment.
The Provincial Coordinator will be primarily responsible for: (i) Supporting the Team Leader in maintaining a strong and effective relationship between the project and the Government of Balochistan on project operational matters; (ii) having general oversight of the project operations in Balochistan and, (iii) keeping the Team Leader appraised of the operational status of the project, any policies or issues of concern to the Government of Balochistan, the Government of Pakistan and any other matters at the provincial level that may impact on the project. The incumbent will work under the direction of the Team Leader and, as required, in consultation with the Development/Capacity Building Expert and the Director, District Teams. The Provincial Coordinator will also coordinate with the National Liaison Coordinator in Islamabad in relation to coordination tasks involving the project, Government of Balochistan and federal government ministries, departments and agencies, as required. This position is envisaged as a long term non-key expert position for 120 days per year.
Description of Tasks
1. Serve as the project focal point for the province and be responsible for coordination and liaising with the Government of Balochistan (GoB) and with federal government ministries, departments and agencies in Quetta, as required.
2. Facilitate the operationalization of short term consultancies within the project, especially visits to Balochistan and dialogue with the appropriate ministries, departments and agencies of the Government of Balochistan and other stakeholders.
3. Provide advice and support to the Government of Balochistan on improving systems for gathering, compiling, analyzing, and disseminating information on BRDCEP project operations and achievements and determining appropriate GoB responses to these.
4. In association with the Director, District Teams, conduct communication activities in line with the project communications strategy, to provide provincial stakeholders information on project operations in the province.
5. Contribute to annual and quarterly project reports.
6. Perform other relevant duties as required by the Team Leader.