Career with BRAC International
BRAC is a development success story, taking anti-poverty solutions born in Bangladesh to 10 other developing countries in Asia and Africa and providing opportunities for the world’s poor.
BRAC was founded in Bangladesh in 1972 by Sir Fazle Hasan Abed, and today, is one of the leaders in developing cost-effective, evidence-based poverty innovations in extremely poor, conflict-prone and post-disaster settings.
With a holistic approach that uses a wide array of interventions including microfinance, education, healthcare, legal services and more, BRAC invests in communities’ own human and material resources, catalyzing lasting change and creating an ecosystem in which the poor have the chance to seize control of their own lives. Of the world’s top development and humanitarian relief organisations, BRAC is one of the few led in the global south. In January 2017, BRAC was ranked as the number one NGO in the world for the second consecutive year by the Geneva-based NGO Advisor, an independent media organisation committed to highlighting innovation, impact and governance in the non-profit sector.
BRAC International is seeking application from competent, dynamic and self-motivated Pakistan national to fill the following position:
Country Representative- BRAC Pakistan
Job Location: Country Head Office, Islamabad, Pakistan
BRAC Pakistan started its operation in 2007 to assist government of Pakistan to alleviate poverty, and increase access to education and health. Currently BRAC Pakistan is operating microfinance and education programmes.
The Country Representative will be part of the senior management team of BRAC Iinternational and have shared accountability for programmatic and operational responsibilities. As head of the country office, the Country Representative will be responsible for delivering BRAC International country strategy through quality programming as well as liaising with funding partners BRAC USA and BRAC UK to enhance programme profile of BRAC Pakistan.
The role provides immense opportunity to play an increasingly important and decisive strategic role within BRAC International while leading a diverse workforce of in-country staff. The role will report to the Director, Asia Region and receive support to carry out day-to-day activities from a variety of sources at BRAC International – Executive Director, Head of HR, Head of Finance, programme anchors and other unit heads in BRAC International based in the Head Office in Dhaka.
- Uphold, promote, and apply the core Values and Mission of BRAC in the host country
- Lead and supervise the programme managers on planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the projects to ensure the effective and efficient execution of project deliverables
- Create funding opportunities to initiate new projects/programmes
- Participate in programme development and the writing of project proposals for extension of existing and/or establishment of new programmes in host country
- Ensure a relevant, timely and accurate flow of strategic, management and operational reports for the implementation of effective work according to programme objectives and standards and to meet reporting standards of donors, partner offices and the headquarters
- Supervise managers to ensure regular budget monitoring to be conducted for all programmes/ projects
- Ensure adequate systems are in place and followed, regarding programme procurements, management and maintenance of project assets, regular inventories and similar activities
- Represent BRAC to foreign and national governments, partners, donors and other stakeholders, and develop and maintain productive relationships and be BRAC’s representative and spokesperson to local and international media/ audience
- Direct and manage staffing in the country while focusing on developing capabilities appropriate to the strategic and operational needs of projects/programs, needs of both the present and future within the country and create ownership among local staff
- Ensure proper and transparent management of resources and reporting systems are established in the country in accordance with the policy and procedures and all regulatory requirements of BRAC, host country governments and donor’s policy
- Visit projects to advise, build relationships, evaluate and inspect the funded projects and follow up on audit findings, risk register and monitoring report
- Analyse continuous impact and effectiveness of existing programmes on a national level and adapt accordingly
- Liaise with Advisory Committee Members
- Strong commitment to BRAC’s mission, approach and values
- A firm dedication to international development
- Flexible and adaptable with good interpersonal skills and a ‘can-do’ approach
- Ability to lead and inspire a diverse team
- Good understanding and ability to design and lead emergency programmes
- Proven experience of fund raising and success in program development and proposal writing
- Demonstrated experience in working with partners to achieve programme results
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity and ability to develop strong and trusting relationships with external organisations and stakeholders
- Ability to represent BRAC to international and national fora, governments, partners, donors, communities and other stakeholders and be spokesperson to local and international media/ audience
- Ability to travel widely in Pakistan and within Asia
Masters or equivalent degree in Development studies or any other relevant subject from any recognized university with minimum second class/division or equivalent CGPA in all academic records.
- 10+ years experience with proven programme management in a developing country setting of which at least 5 years in senior management position
- Professional knowledge of diverse development approaches
- Preference for experience in Education Programming in developing countries
Employment type: Contractual