Advanced Engineering Associates International (AEAI), Inc., a global engineering, energy and environmental services company, seeks a Legal Specialist, for the USAID-funded ‘Sustainable Energy for Pakistan’ (SEP) Program. AEAI, Inc., is tasked as a subcontractor for Tetra Tech, Inc., to implement the program. SEP is geared towards supporting the Government of Pakistan’s (GoP) efforts to increase the financially sustainable delivery of clean energy services to spur the economic and social development of the country. SEP is focused on four broad, interrelated Technical Components:
Technical Component 1: Increased private investment in clean energy projects.
Technical Component 2: Improved capacity of the transmission system and energy markets to support increased private investment in the provision of energy services.
Technical Component 3: Enhanced commercial viability of the electricity distribution subsector.
Technical Component 4: Improved sector governance through policy reforms that facilitate investment and privatization of energy services.
Scope of Services
The Legal Specialist will work as part of a team under Technical Component 4, and deliver the following scope of services:
- Provide legal advisory servicesin the upstream oil and gas sectorto the Directorate General of Petroleum Concessions (DGPC), Petroleum Division of the Ministry of Energy, USAID and SEP in the following areas:Provide legal advisory services to the Directorate General of Gas (DG Gas), Petroleum Division of the Ministry of Energy, USAID and SEP in downstream gas policies and regulatory framework which will, interalia, include gas pricing agreements and gas sales and purchase agreements, and potential unbundling and restructuring of gas utilities.
- Review of proposed amendments in policies, rules and concession,drafting of the agreed amendments, and SEP support to GoP in approval and implementation of the amended framework.
- Day-to-day legal support to enable DGPC to meet its mandate and functions effectively andin line with the provisions of prevailing policies, rules, and concession agreements.
- Legal support to the SEP team in the review and improvement of upstream petroleum policies, rules, and agreements and in other areas of upstream oil and gas (including unconventional oil and gas resources, such as shale oil/gas), as requested by GoP and agreed to by USAID/SEP.
- As a supporting function, provide legal advisory services in policy and regulatory aspects of the power sector (including renewable energy) to USAID and SEP, as required.
- Prepare and/or contribute to presentations and other reports for GoP, USAID and stakeholders, and represent USAID-SEP in meetings and forums, as required.
- Islamabad, Pakistan. Work related travel may be required. Only Pakistani Nationals may apply.
- The Legal Specialist will report to Senior Advisor Oil & Gas, or as designated by SEP’s Chief of Party.
Job Specification/Skills & Abilities:
- Degree in law (LLB and/or LLM).
- Around 5 plus years of experience in legal aspects of the oil and gas sector. Experience with similar USAID energy sector programs,and in the power sector will be an added advantage, but is not essential.Experience requirements are flexible depending on qualifications and specialized expertise.
- Fully conversant with the relevant policies, rules, agreements, and laws of Pakistan and international best practice regimes applicable to the oil and gas sector.
- Team player with ability to prioritize and manage tasks and assignments independently.
- Proficiency inrelevant computer applications (e.g., Microsoft Office) and high level of competency in written and spoken English.