I. Job Title: Monitoring & Evaluation Associate (Based in Lahore)
II. Project Name and Objective: The USAID Punjab Enabling Environment Project (PEEP) has the objective to improve the enabling environment for the agriculture sector in Punjab to promote private sector led growth, especially focusing on the horticulture and dairy and livestock sub-sectors. PEEP will help create internationally competitive policy environments for horticulture, livestock and dairy sub-sectors providing the private sector with the security required for investments in agriculture aimed at improving the quality and quantity of produce in the domestic market.
III. Job Classification. Long-Term Local Support Staff.
IV. Estimated Duration of Assignment. Through the end of the Project.
V. Ultimate Authority and Chain of Command. Ultimate day to day field supervision and authority for all PEEP personnel and all aspects of PEEP activities rests with the Chief of Party (COP) or his/her designee, and in the Chemonics home office, with the PEEP project management unit (PMU) Director. The individual holding this position shall take no managerial or technical direction from any individual who is not formally employed in the chain of command between the individual and the COP, the COP’s designee, or the PMU Director.
VI. Reporting Responsibilities. For all routine responsibilities and duties, either directly or indirectly related to this job description, the individual holding this position shall report directly to, and be supervised by the M&E Specialist.
VIII. Position Objective, Generally Applicable Functions, and Specific Tasks.
A. Position Objective. Support the position’s supervisor and fellow project colleagues in the successful implementation of all aspects of the project’s work plan and achievement of the project objective.
B. Generally Applicable Functions. As directed by the supervisor for this position, or by the Chief of Party or his/her designee, the individual holding this position shall perform the following general functions:
- Perform tasks necessary to ensure successful implementation of the project’s work plan and components thereof;
- Ensure weekly updates of relevant portions of the project’s work plan and components thereof;
- Ensure timely, high quality completion of all relevant reporting requirements;
- Ensure that day-to-day personal behavior and performance are fully compliant with the project’s policy manual;
- Exercise professional interpersonal skills to effectively work with all project staff, clients, counterparts;
- Ensure close collaboration and teamwork with all project offices and components;
- Conduct all business in a manner that respects local culture;
- Maintain high ethical standards at all times, avoiding any actual or perceived conflicts of interest;
- Abide by all local laws, USAID regulations, and US Embassy/USAID project directives; and
- Perform any and all other tasks as may be assigned in a manner that contributes to achievement of the project’s work plan and objectives.
C. Specific Tasks. As directed by the supervisor for this position, or by the Chief of Party or his/her designee, the individual holding this position shall perform the following specific tasks:
- Support the implementation, periodic review, application and improvement of monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems of PEEP in order to measure the progress related to the achievement of the expected outcomes, outputs and activities defined in the project documents. This includes liaising with the program team, project stakeholders, grantees, USAID, and Chemonics home office on M&E best practice and frameworks for incorporation into the work plans, log frames and reports.
- Coordinate the development and testing of M&E methods; and revise, recommend and assist in the implementation of recommendations to improve the efficiency of current monitoring systems.
- Implement quality control mechanisms to improve the quality of the collected information, ensuring consistency across PEEP program.
- Produce analysis of program data and identify methods to use results for services and program improvement; work together with program team and other stakeholders to gather and analyze data for project management and evaluation
- Ensure availability of baseline data and devise tools for needs assessments.
- Assist in organizing evaluation of program and policies including through review of methodology, survey material, or suggesting data collection techniques or approaches in the implementation of planned activities.
- Follow up on findings and recommendations of program reviews and evaluations to ensure that related recommendations are well-understood and taken into account for the continued implementation of the program and future project development
- Provide technical guidance, training and support to project team and grantees regarding M&E tools.
- Ensure finalization of documents or regular reports including but not limited to monthly, quarterly and annual progress reports, situation reports, briefing and background information required by the donors and other stakeholders.
- Stay up to date regarding assessments and reports produced by other agencies and organizations and ensure relevant and important information is incorporated in PEEP reports and future strategies.
- Develop and maintain liaison at appropriate level with governmental authorities, national and international institutions, non-governmental organizations and private sector aiming at coordinating new activities and facilitating the implementation of on-going activities.
- Other duties, as assigned.
VIII. Policy and Procedures. With respect to all policies and procedures related to this position, written guidance in the form of the Project’s Field Personnel and Operations Policy Manual will be issued and updated from time to time that will clarify, modify, and/or establish Project policies and procedures that govern either directly or indirectly the duties and responsibilities of this position. It is incumbent upon all Project employees to stay apprised of all policies and procedures in the Project’s Field Personnel and Operations Policy Manual, as updated. In addition, should the individual holding this position be unclear at any time as to the meaning of any policy and/or procedure presented in these files, or any verbal instructions given by the employee’s supervisor, the employee has the right and obligation to request written clarification from the Chief of Party or his/her designee.
IX. Qualifications and Educational Requirements. The individual holding this position shall possess the following:
A. General Qualifications/Skills
- Ability to perform successfully as a member of multiple project-related teams;
- Demonstrated successful interpersonal skills;
- Fluency in both English and Punjabi required; other Pakistani languages preferred;
- Ability to effectively use computer software; and
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, to prioritize work assignments, to meet deadlines, and to exercise good, professional judgment that reflects positively on the image of PEEP and Chemonics.
B. Specific Qualifications
- At least 3-5 years’ experience in development assistance projects and/or management of M&E portfolio;
- Experience in program/project formulation, monitoring and evaluation with international organizations; experience with USAID projects will be highly valued.
- Proven experience working effectively with multiple stakeholders both internal and external.
- Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to maintain a rapid and demanding pace of work;
- Strong interpersonal, writing, and oral communication skills;
- Detail oriented and ability to accurately document files;
- Fluency in both written and spoken English required.
C. Educational Requirements
- Bachelor (Honors) degree in management, policy studies, social sciences, international development or any related field from a leading foreign or Pakistani university; Master’s degree will be preferred.