Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Manager
Annual Salary and Benefits
Internal Job Grade
Fixed Term; One Year Contract
- Programme Quality & Funding Director
Staff reporting to this post
- MEAL Coordinator (s)/Officer(s)
Locations - Islamabad
Shaping a Stronger Oxfam for People living in Poverty
OXFAM PURPOSE: To work with Oxfam and Partners’ staff to overcome poverty and suffering
TEAM PURPOSE: To lead and support country programme in implementing its MEL and Social accountability objectives.
JOB PURPOSE: To establish, support and advice for the implementation of integral monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning system for the country programme implemented by Oxfam and partners with the aim to improve the quality, impact and influence of the program and to ensure appropriate level of accountability at all levels. The position holder will also be responsible for contributions in organizational decision making, accountability, learning, capacity building, research, Knowledge generation and development of new projects/programmes.
MEAL Manager will have the overall responsibility of managing the MEAL team and provide the strategic direction for the team. The MEAL manager, under supervision of Programme Quality and Funding Director, will provide the overall strategic direction for the MEAL work in the country office and will have overall responsibility of designing the MEAL work in a way that it corresponds with the organizational changing needs and is in line with CAMSA (Common Approach to MEL & Social accountability) pf Oxfam programmes.
The MEAL manager will provide direct support for development and review of Programmes’ design as well as performance management system for the Country Programme to ensure these are in line with the country strategy. In close coordination with thematic leads (Programme Managers), support the development of the technical strategy/approach for the MEAL work. MEAL manager will contribute to the learning agenda in the country office particularly in designing the impact studies and evaluations as well as contribute to strengthened social accountability mechanisms in line with Oxfam International policy and country programme needs. MEAL manager will also lead/support on the knowledge generation and management in the country office in coordination with MEAL and programme staff and partners.
The post holder is expected to work in close coordination with the Programme, funding and communication teams to ensure specialized MEAL support for Programme improvement, impact and influencing.
The person will be working closely with the MEAL and PQ leads in Partner Affiliates.
- Objectives set with Programmes managers, mainly relating to the quality of programme work particularly for programme and the project implementing team.
- Their plans and objectives are developed to contribute to programme strategy and can involve collaboration with other programme units or departments
- Advice and problem-solving often given over distance with limited information.
- Information sources are diverse, ranging from academic research to data collection in programme and non-programme areas and often requires a judgement on credibility and accuracy of the information.
- Specific competencies and skills are required to achieve the job’s objectives.
- Provides specialist advice or specific skills to their team or programme unit.
- Decision-making requires significant levels of judgement based on technical and management experience, generally actively supported within line management or the programme team.
- Requires the ability to analyse and communicate complex information to a wide audience to promote and influence.
- Communication is both with internal and external contacts. Represents Oxfam in relevant coordination meetings and external relationships with partners and other stakeholders.
- Impact and influence of the job is on all programme teams’ work in line with Oxfam minimum Standards for MEAL but occasionally also in other parts of the affiliates and/or with an external audience.
- Role is variable with well-defined targets and/or minimum standards and is both proactive and reactive.
- Contribute to capacity building of partners on MEAL as well as orientation to Oxfam programme quality standards
- The incumbent will be expected to travel for 30% of their time
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Programme planning, development and quality:
- Support country programme processes, particularly on logic of intervention (country program logical frameworks and Programme MEAL plans), and contribute to ensuring adherence to Oxfam’s programme quality standards.
- Provide technical input in LFA and monitoring framework development for new project proposals for business development.
- Contribute to the development and refinement of the 3 programme pillars’ theories of change and the TOC for the country programme.
- Assist Oxfam and partners’ teams in ensuring to integrate the feedback of stakeholders into programme planning and design especially the feedback from men and women from vulnerable community groups
- Lead on the development of MEAL plans for the programmes, in consultation with the Funding Coordinator and program teams.
- Support in the programme review/programme quality reviews for all 3 programme pillars as well as monitor the compliance to the improvement plans
- Responsible for estimating and setting MEAL resources in proposals’ budgets.
- As the supervisor of the OPAL focal person, ensure technical support & guidance to program and project managers who are responsible for managing information and programs for OGB Programme, Accountability and Learning System (OPAL).
MEAL System development and implementation:
- Develop and establish an integrated participatory monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning framework for the whole country office based on the revised country strategy, as well as the MEAL frameworks of the 3 programme pillars (Gender Justice, Governance & Climate Change/Saving lives)
- Ensure that the MEAL system incorporate Oxfam MEAL principles, minimum standards including ensuring that all MEAL processes, methodologies and tools are gender sensitive
- Develop MEAL action plan and devise activities of monitoring team accordingly to achieve targets and results.
- Identify the learning needs of the country programme and programme pillars (e.g key assessments, evaluations and other learning exercises) for effective documentation and management of country strategy and programme impact
- Oversee and support Oxfam and partners program staff in timely implementation of monitoring framework and tools, including supervising field MEAL exercise and undertaking monitoring field visits to ensure quality and consistent information is available on programme performance and impact
- Provide program level outcome and impact monitoring, evaluation, learning and accountability report based on project and program MEAL system and findings.
- Act as focal point for Oxfam’s beneficiary counting methodology and lead on the establishment of an improved beneficiary database system and lead on the program’s Global Output Reporting.
- Develop and continuously update accountability strategy and lead on establishment of a program feedback and complaint mechanisms in line with Oxfam standards and in coordination with other programs.
- Ensure that accountability mechanisms and a feedback system are developed and utilized at Counterpart level,
- Ensure minimum standards of accountability at all level corresponding to Oxfam standards,
- Overseeing and quality assurance of accountability mechanisms within the program.
- Share accountability findings with programme teams and senior management and support their used for improved programming, impact and influencing.
Capacity building and technical supervision for partner and Oxfam staff:
- Promote understanding and capacities within project and programme teams on MEAL, and the use and /or analysis of MEAL systems at the project and partner levels.
- Provide high-quality technical advice to Oxfam and partners team in monitoring progress as well of the results/ objectives/outcomes and impact in different field locations,
- Facilitating capacity building process, using various approaches and methodologies, of partners and Oxfam staff on knowledge, skills and competencies necessary for effective MEAL based on capacity assessment on MEAL
- Support the efforts to upgrade and improve partners’ assessment system and tools to ensure improved partnership management as well as capacity development plans based on the capacity assessments
- Facilitate and support the team and provide technical guidance in the quantitative & qualitative data collection, analysis and management and report back in an effective manner.
- Train program teams on using analysed data to inform program quality control, document lessons learnt and future project development.
- Plan and execute technical support and train program staff on OPAL through the MEAL team to ensure improved OPAL management in the country office
Evaluation, Review, and learning:
- Develop a knowledge management system and organizational learning (risks/opportunities, challenges/successes) framework of the country programme in consultation with program team and partners to facilitate access to different project and program level learning.
- Contribute to the design of mechanism for the dissemination and effective utilization of information for improved quality of programme and for influencing as well as to donor reports when required.
- On the basis of key field findings, draw strategic mechanisms for the MEAL improvement for the programmes and for the overall country strategy
- Act as lead and liaison point for internal and external evaluations and initiatives including design and manage evaluations in compliance with Oxfam’s evaluation policy, from development of ToR, to advising management on approval of final report, to dissemination of evaluation findings and recommendations with intended audiences and ensure that learning from these processes are disseminated and acted upon.
- Monitor and ensure that a management response to the findings and recommendations of evaluations is completed, recorded, and followed up for implementation.
- As part of the learning function, take lead in identifying learning points across the range of work carried out and identify opportunities to share this learning through meetings, workshops, reflection reviews, reports and document best practices and lesson learned etc and demonstrate areas of improvements for future Oxfam program planning and strategies and of influencing
- Support the organisation and (co) facilitate program and project monitoring and quality reviews and learning events
- Facilitate partners in devising systems to manage knowledge to make it available for future use.
- Oversee the overall knowledge generation component (both documenting and research) of the program and projects on gender justice and SRH issues
- Share relevant MEAL findings with programme teams and management in appropriate format to ensure the whole organisation benefits from and applies program learning.
MEAL budget monitoring
- Monitor the MEAL budget and ensure the regular tracking of variances and advise management on any over/under spending of MEAL allocated resources.
Coordination and Networking
- Maintain effective coordination with Oxfam programme team, MEAL staff, influencing and communication teams and other programs in Pakistan as well as Partners affiliate and regional platform as relevant.
- Ensure that MEAL efforts in the same location, with same partners or target group are coordinated with other programs to avoid duplication and maximise impact
- Contributing to exploring areas for joint ventures ensuring coordinated OI MEAL mechanism and ensure dissemination of learning.
- Ensure proper MEAL coordination and streamlining structures between Oxfam and partners are in place.
- Establishing links with technical institutes like universities, organizations and networks to explore areas of engagement and explore joint work opportunity.
- Coordinate with (I) NGOs to co-ordinate and co-operate regarding MEAL support of local partners.
- Engage with Oxfam and external professional peers in and outside the country to share knowledge and to identify best practice in other countries/agencies relevant to Oxfam which can contribute to our own understanding and development of MEAL.
- Provide leadership to the team, ensuring clarity over MEAL plans and priorities, encouraging effective team work and inclusiveness, and building a team spirit through regular meetings and team events.
- Provide management support to the team, in their management of others, and the implementation of work plans
- Oversee the administrative functions for the MEAL team
- Ensure OXFAM’s performance management system is effectively implemented across the MEAL team, with goal setting, probationary reviews, regular check in, annual performance reviews
- Support the implementation of OXFAM’s staff learning and development policy, including personal and career development planning, across the MEAL team in a way that is consistent and transparent.
Delivering any other responsibility assigned by the line manager.
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
We are looking for the following skills and experience:
- Masters’ degree in social sciences or a relevant degree from a recognized university,
- At least 7 years of relevant experience working in programme monitoring and management,
- Good level of expertise in MEAL (either leading or managing)
- Good level of appropriate technical skills, policy knowledge and experience of program issues,
- Thematic knowledge on programme areas that are priority for Oxfam (Gender Justice, Governance, Humanitarian, WASH, Education) in contexts of monitoring and evaluation of such projects
- Good knowledge and experience in Monitoring and evaluation,
- People Management experience
- Good time, project management and organization skills, excellent coordination skills
- Ability to work independently as required,
- Understanding of partner lead and right based approach,
- Good resource (people/finance/assets) management skills for specific projects or themes,
- Good interpersonal, influencing, communication and decision making skills,
- Strong commitment to gender equality and social justice,
- Fluent written and spoken English and Urdu; knowledge of any other Pakistani language will be considered additional merit.
- Leadership and Management Skills
- Excellent skills for writing or reviewing proposals and reports
- Skills and experience of monitoring and evaluation,
- Expertise in Project Cycle management including strong financial management,
- Proven Knowledge of computerized systems; high degree of computer literacy and word processing and spreadsheet skills useful
- Experience in and the ability to facilitate training at different levels
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize well and commitment to meet deadlines
- Ability and willing to travel frequently all over Pakistan when required
- Commitment to the aims, objectives and core values of Oxfam
- Knowledge of or experience in the integration of gender in every step of a MEAL/MEL process
- Knowledge of how to develop gender-sensitive indicators
- Strategic thinking and planning skills
- Ability to evaluate and judge complex issues and identify critical issues to ensure an effective focus.
- Good understanding of, and commitment to, gender equity (particularly around poor women's rights)
- Innovative and creative approach to problem solving
Key Behavioral Competencies (based on Oxfam’s Leadership Model)
We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.
We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organisation We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
We put ‘we’ before ‘me’ and place an emphasis on the power of the collective, nurture the team and play to the strengths of each individual. We are not concerned with hierarchical power, and we engage with, trust and value the knowledge and expertise of others across all levels of the organization.
We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organisation.
We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear, and consider different preferences.
We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.
We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organizational strategies and values.
We all work to effectively empower and enable others to deliver the organizations goals through creating conditions of success. We passionately invest in others by developing their careers, not only their skills for the job. We provide freedom; demonstrate belief and trust provide appropriate support. We give more freedom and demonstrate belief and trust, underpinned with appropriate support.