The Norwegian Red Cross is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers operating in 190 countries. The RCRC Movement’s mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. The international engagement of NorCross is based on and guided by humanitarian needs and the humanitarian imperative aiming at achieving humanitarian objectives. Internationally, NorCross operates exclusively inside the framework of the RCRC Movement and has established regional and country offices to ensure decentralized decision-making and proximity to partners and projects.
In Pakistan, NorCross aims to relieve the suffering and save the lives of people affected by armed conflict, protracted crisis and acute disasters. We work through Pakistan Red Crescent (PRCS) to respond, both in terms of efficiency and effectiveness, to any given crisis.
NorCross targets the most vulnerable in each context, based on holistic humanitarian needs analysis, whilst assuming an auxiliary role supporting PRCS.
NorCross focuses on improved access to community health, providing basic health service to the most vulnerable communities affected by conflict and protracted crisis in Pakistan.
The purpose of the Country Finance and Administration Officer is to contribute to financial risk management, and provide the financial, logistics and administrative support needed for the country offices.
Country Finance and Administration Officer
Country Programme Manager
No of positions
- Prepare the NFO budget in coordination with relevant Field Office staff, supported by RO senior finance and admin officer.
- Perform budget analysis as and when required and revise the budget if relevant.
- Daily accounting for the Norwegian Red Cross Field Office in compliance with Norwegian Red Cross Operational Manual, including the Finance and Accounting Manual (FAM) and the Regulations for Financial Control.
- Prepare and present monthly financial reports to the Country Programme Manager/RO senior finance and admin officer.
- Check that PRCS supplementary services invoices agree with supporting documentation, and file relevant correspondence herewith.
- Receive and control monthly expenditure overview of field offices and supporting documents before posting this into Agresso.
- Filing of documents according to guidelines in the Operational Manual/Finance and Accounting Manual.
- Prepare monthly reconciliations of balance accounts related to the Office. Ensure that the reconciliations are checked and signed by the Country Programme Manager and sent to RO.
- Provide details of budget vs. actual expenditure to Country Programme Manager as and when required and give advice on financial matters to make appropriate decisions.
- Ensure that the accounting is done in compliance with the relevant back-donor requirements on financial issues/financial management.
- Ensure that the accounting is done according to deadlines set by HQ/RO. Together with the Country Programme Manager, ensure control of the overall finance and accounting tasks at the Norwegian Red Cross Field Office. Inform HQ/RO on any delays and/or changes.
- Prepare financial statements for interim and annual audit in line with the annual Audit Engagement Instructions from external auditor.
- Coordinate the interim and annual audit of all programmes accounted for via the Field Office.
- Support the Country Programme Manager in the implementation of internal and external audit recommendations (in accordance with the Field Office Plan of Action based on the Annual Management Letter).
- Communicate with auditors and PRCS to resolve any further issues of regional office and HQ on matters relating to audit.
- Communicate with Regional Office and HQ and obtain approval on the final Audit reports.
- Monitor cash flow and keep Country Programme Manager informed on liquidity.
- Check that invoices are in accordance with goods/services delivered and set conditions, and agree with supporting documentation (price quote, purchase order, goods received note etc.)
- Under direction from Norwegian Red Cross Programme Manager, quality assure, advise and support on budgeting and financial reporting from partners. Monitor and follow-up of finance/admin related issues.
- Perform quality assurance on monthly reimbursement claims submitted by PRCS.
- Verify the occurrence of expenses, expenses are in accordance with budget and POA and approved by the budget holder
- Prepare funds transfer document against reimbursement claims.
- Post all claims in to Agresso and also responsible for filing/record keeping.
- Assist the Norwegian Red Cross Programme Manager/Regional Logistics & Security manager to ensure that Norwegian Red Cross Procurement guidelines, and if relevant further donor requirements, are adhered to (for procurement of goods and services); alert Norwegian Red Cross Programme Manager/RO if this is not the case. Consult RO logistics &Security manager when relevant.
- Update the inventory list for the Field Office plus Norwegian Red Cross residence every time there is a change, at least twice annually. Make sure that every item is properly tagged.
- Maintain and update the Office Specific Information form for the Field Office.
- Make travel arrangements including tickets, visas, hotel bookings, office correspondences, minor purchases for Field Office staff and visitors.
- If relevant, sit in/advise the Procurement Committee on major procurements in line with Norwegian Red Cross’s Procurement Guidelines and donor requirements.
- Liaise with PRCS, IFRC, ICRC, and PNSs for HR, Admin and Logistics/Fleet related matters.
- Ensure employee contractual management
- assist in hiring and terminations
- Assist in biannual and annual staff appraisals
- Responsible for collection of time sheets from national staff of Norwegian Red Cross and forward it to the PRCS HR for payroll.
- Prepare Finance payroll sheet and bank transfer letter after review.
- Review the hiring request and ToR’s from the requesting department, confirm budget availability and the list of people for the panel interview.
- Ensure staff wellbeing, HR liaison/HR rules; HR issues delegates/national staff
- Prepare payments and ensure necessary signatures/approvals.
- Administer the petty cash according to Norwegian Red Cross’s procedures.
- Provide/coordinate training on financial management issues for various stakeholders as requested/required.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
- Professional qualification in accounting (Chartered accountant, CPA or equivalent) or degree in accounting or Business Administration - accounting option.
Personal qualifications, skills and knowledge
Skills and knowledge
- Minimum 3 years of working experience with national/international humanitarian operations (RCM, INGO, UN etc.).
- Advanced knowledge of accounting concepts, financial management and use reporting applications (e.g. Agresso and Advanced use of excel)
- Understanding of internal control and treasury management concepts
- Proven ability to engage discretely and tactfully with internal and external stakeholders.
- Advanced skills in computer productivity applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Willing to travel to the field areas
- Very good ability to convince and gain acceptance
- Very good ability to communicate effectively
- Result oriented
- Team player, open to learning