Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, and in direct supervision and directives received from the Community Resilience Activity (CRA) Chief of Party/Program Manager, the incumbent will be responsible for overall coordination and management of technical engineering activities of Program in newly merged Tribal Districts of KP. Activities will include responding to the needs of the Programme for important, large scale and high visibility as well as small and medium scale infrastructure projects throughout Newly Merged Tribal Districts.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- To lead the technical team including of; Area Engineers & Site Engineers, and ensure that they are performing their duties according to assigned Terms of References.
- Advise senior management on strategies to be adopted specific to implementation of infrastructure components of the Program as well as to recommend alternative strategies in case of conflicts during implementation process for Management endorsement.
- Lead the Evaluation/hiring process of Consulting firms required for design and assessment of Major Projects.
- Review and approve the Program Environmental mitigation strategies and statements from time to time and to give response on related queries received from the donor’s Environmental department.
- To recommend need based allocation & assignment of technical staff/resources to field offices.
- Monitor and supervise the preparation of all documents that have to be submitted by the engineering department to the logistic department in order to organize tenders for all infrastructure projects.
- Identity and set priorities for infrastructure development component of the Program
- Advise on procurement strategy of new interventions.
- Ensure that quality control mechanisms are in place for contractor and community implemented projects and all Environment Impact Assessments are prepared and carried out for all infrastructure projects. Provide training to all technical and non-technical staff to ensure quality control.
- Overall supervise and monitor all the infrastructure projects. Design forms that can be used in monitoring the project during the implementation stage.
- Establish and maintain contact with appropriate partner agencies when basic or special needs are identified.
- Keep abreast with new and developing design systems and software.
- Attend meetings to discuss potential areas of mutual interest and benefit with program targeted municipal authorities, government ministries, local and international NGOs, and Newly Merged Tribal Districts communities.
- Monitor coordinating mechanisms for project implementation and reporting with local authorities, government ministries, UN Agencies and NGOs.
- Develop technical staff competencies baseline assessment questionnaire and conducted assessment of technical staff competencies to identify skills levels.
- Capacity building of Technical staff on assessment, design, planning and implementation of small and medium level community infrastructure projects.
- Participate in weekly Head of Units meetings.
- Conduct field visit to infrastructure grants to identify areas of improvements and ensure quality control.
- Review and approve the Task Order’s to be issued to consulting firms for different major projects.
- Negotiate contracts and agreements with consulting and contracting firms.
- Ensure that the work/services received from third parties (suppliers, contractors, consulting firms etc.) meet the minimal quality parameters.
- Drafting and development of instructions to be issued to contractors in line with latest codes and standard’s
- To play leading role in development of web based online reporting and budgets/design preparation system for the Program and recommend improvements to the same on regular basis.
- Respond to queries/suggestions intimated by Donor’s independent monitoring unit.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- University degree in engineering and extensive experience in post conflict environments, including management of infrastructure projects.
- A minimum of four years of experience in the field of infrastructure planning and construction.
- Ability to supervise, direct, coach and mentor staff. Drive for results and effective resource management skills. Understanding of complex social-political environments.
- Ability to work under extreme pressure, in difficult conditions while maintaining security awareness. Flexibility and focus on processes and their improvements.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds. Stamina, determination, commitment and adaptability in the workplace are required.