CARE is a leading global humanitarian and development organization. In Pakistan, CARE started its operations in 2005 and since then has supported the Government of Pakistan’s efforts to reduce poverty and suffering of the people affected by disasters. CARE’s programs focus on helping Pakistan achieve its Sustainable Development Goals especially in the areas of Health, Education, Women’s Economic Empowerment and Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPR). Since starting operations in Pakistan, CARE has responded with life-saving support to a series of large-scale disasters. Through emergency programs, CARE International in Pakistan (CIP) has provided relief, recovery and rehabilitation support to millions of Pakistanis affected by disastrous floods, earthquakes and displacement. CIP works through its local partners and a range of stakeholders for development, as well as emergency response related interventions, which makes collaboration a key component of its work, across the country. We are a nationally inclusive organization that strives to support the most vulnerable communities all over Pakistan, with particular attention to women and girls and youth.
I. JOB SUMMARY:
CIP is recruiting a Senior Project Manager for a secured 2 years-long project titled “Livelihoods and Integrated Health and WASH Service Strengthening and Support for Displaced Populations in Pakistan in Baluchistan and KPK provinces”. The objective of the project is to enable refugees and other displaced persons (DPs) in Pakistan to become productive members of their host community and participate in furthering their common resilience, socio-economic growth and development. The project will focus on two outcomes, income generation and livelihoods opportunities and integrated basic services by targeting rural districts in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) and Balochistan provinces in Pakistan.
The Senior Project Manager will primary be responsible for leading/ managing the assigned project activities and play a lead role in providing management and technical oversight in ensuring that project is meeting its objectives in a timely and effective manner. This includes, but is not limited to, overseeing the projects’ detailed work-plan preparation, identifying external technical support needs, ensuring that appropriate management practices are being used in project implementation and that the monitoring and evaluation systems provide accurate information. The incumbent is required to build effective and robust programme implementation and monitoring while keeping in view CARE’ partnership framework. S/he, in coordination with the Assistant Country Director Programs, Humanitarian Program Manager and other key stakeholders within CIP will provide guidance, support and monitor the integrated project interventions as outlined in the proposal with implementing partners and other linked stakeholders. The SPM would be required to build effective relations with the implementing partners, communities, donors, working through local networks, build synergies with on-going CARE programmes and other donor funded and government run programmes. S/he will be the primary focal person for the project relations with implementing partners, technical experts, district government, and represent the project on behalf of CARE as directed by the line manager.
The incumbent needs to be highly skilled in project management, especially in areas of Food security and livelihoods including WASH with expertise in delivering quality results, consistent with CARE’s humanitarian protocols and according to donor regulations. The Senior Project Manager will render technical inputs on implementing Food security and livelihoods interventions with high quality, and ensure technically viable poultry and livestock’s management, livestock fodder and kitchen garden kits and WASH services to the most vulnerable HHs, supporting communities with existing small businesses in these areas, providing agricultural management training and strengthening communities’ linkages to existing markets services. The role requires ensuring accurate analysis, improvising and innovating for creative problem-solving, attention to detail, managing people with priority in achieving results, as well as capacity development and support.
II. RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
Job Responsibility #1 Project Implementation, Partnership Management, Technical Guidance and Advice
% of Time: 45%
- Lead, supervise and guide the Implementing Partner’s (IP’s) and/or project team in planning and implementation of activities and maintain regular liaison with designated focal person of the IPs;
- Regularly meet with the IPs and provide them guidance and technical support for quality project implementation
- With the support from Food security and Livelihoods Specialist and WASH specialist develop SOPs for the FSL and WASH interventions and provide technical support to IPs field teams in delivering project outputs in a timely way;
- Ensure implementation of high-quality programs that adhere to CARE’s humanitarian principles and donor rules and guidelines;
- Ensure CARE Pakistan’s partnership principles and processes are being followed, and make timely recommendations to ensure such processes are sufficiently streamlined to be responsive to partners and beneficiaries’ needs;
- Develop a smooth working relationship with Partners to ensure the technical correctness, quality and timeliness of the work undertaken by the partners;
- Work with the procurement team to develop a procurement plan for supplies/ services during the humanitarian response;
- Contribute to the capacity building of partner staff as and when required through identification of needs e.g. M&E, gender, advocacy and draw support from CO through the line manager;
- Put in place a multi-sectoral MEAL plan, ensuring that it links to reporting requirements, and build capacity of technical field staff in carrying out the work. Place sectoral accountability mechanisms, ensuring that feedback is incorporated into program design and learning disseminated to relevant stakeholders;
- Coordinate with MEAL team to ensure the delivery of baseline and end-line surveys and involve partner teams in the process of Baseline and End line surveys;
- Regularly coordinate with the IPs and ensure quality narrative and financial reports are received from the partners in time and submit high quality reports to the senior management for onward submission to the donor
- Facilitate Partner for preparation and submission of monthly reports (narrative and financial), activity plans, and scheduled monitoring reports to measure progress / changes;
- Develop internal reporting mechanism to capture the field information with regular updates to ACD-P on monthly and quarterly basis. SPM will ensure the development and submission of interim and final progress reports on donor formats;
- Undertake regular and rigorous field visits to project areas and/or work from partner’s office as and when required with clear objectives and outcome reports;
- Identify and support in arranging input required for implementation of project activities and follow up on timely delivery with program support in the field and CO. Hold project’s quarterly progress review meetings and report back to the CO/line manager.
- Ensure that accountability mechanism and tools are in place for project and are being used by project beneficiaries and communities. Complaints and Feedback logs are being maintained and addressed timely as per partner and CARE Humanitarian Accountability Framework;
- Ensure while working with project team that project implementation plans are developed to maximize the use of project resources which are cost and time efficient;
- Ensure that the project team are fully briefed on all aspects of quality and accountability, security, social and cultural norms and local conditions and behaviour;
- Ensure compliance with donor guidelines and CARE financial management and Procurement policy/protocols, for the effective financial management of each project.
- Contribute as needed to the development of CARE’s transitional strategy from Relief to Early Recovery leading to Development Program in the targeted area;
- Promote a productive work environment respectful of the Code of Conduct with zero tolerance for verbal and physical abuse or discrimination against other persons on the grounds of race, colour, sex or creed.
Budget Management and Donor Compliance:
% of Time: 15%
- Review, monitor and manage the budget allocated for the project and ensure 100% budget is utilized efficiently in-line with donor requirements and regularly provide feedback on Budget Variance Analysis to track program spending/ budget and work closely with the partner on the same aspect;
- Coordinate with IPs and ensure partners are managing budget according to the donor guidelines;
- Work closely with the operations and finance team and ensure donor compliances;
Job Responsibility #2: Representation and Networking
% of Time: 15%
- Development and coordination of project management committee to provide technical guidance throughout the implementation period. Participate in project steering committee meetings and disseminate minutes and action plans;
- Represent the program at national, provincial and field-level and at working groups, workshops and strategic think tanks related to particular sectors;
- Represent the organization at donor meetings (as required)
- Identify, establish and nurture external relations to support the program;
- Proactively collaborate with authorities, and other stakeholders and consortia/Alliances/partnerships in relevant area.
- Proactively engage with new donors and position for new funding opportunities
Job Responsibility # 3: Advocacy and Resource Mobilization
% of Time: 10%
- Support the Project team, Diversity and Inclusion Manager, and other stakeholder in the identification of the humanitarian and protection issues in the affected area for timely advocacy initiatives on protection;
- Highlight the issues of humanitarian protection including registration with relevant authorities and UN agencies, including protection cluster;
- Ensure vulnerable groups (women and girls) voices are heard at appropriate forums through advocacy and networking while involving other humanitarian partners, where necessary.
- Support in quality proposal development to further scale up similar initiative
Job Responsibility #4: Organizational Learning
% of Time: 10%
- Work closely with MEAL Team in documenting lessons learnt, best practices and case studies to shape in-country strategies and program approaches, and contribute to broader sector learning;
- Keep up to date with developments in the sector particularly in the target district and sub-districts, including best and most appropriate practices, examples and document appropriately;
- Work with the communications team to develop case studies/ success stories of the project;
- Work collaboratively with other sector team leads on ways to integrate the project intervention with other programmes, where relevant, in order to maximize impact of CARE’s work.
Job Responsibility #5: Perform Other Duties as Assigned
% of Time: 5%
- Any other tasks or responsibilities based on organizational and programming need as assigned by Line Manager.
- Safety and Security is everyone’s responsibility within CI through full compliance and accountability (as per Principle of the CARE International Safety & Security Principles).
III. PROBLEM SOLVING (THINKING ENVIRONMENT)
The incumbent must use interpolative skills to pick and choose the right strategies to address problems during the project implementation and also deal with changing situations. It requires thorough analysis, problem definition and development of alternative solutions.
IV. QUALIFICATIONS (KNOW HOW)
- Bachelor’s in social sciences, business administration, development studies, and/or related fields.
- Master’s in social sciences, business administration, development studies, and/or related fields.
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience in complex emergency programs in areas of food security and livelihoods including WASH. Having multi sector experience with INGOs will be highly desirable;
- Experience of working with internally displaced and refugees at provincial and district levels is required;
- Project implementation experience with international donors is required;
- Must possess a minimum of 6 years of experience in a role that requires project and budget management;
- Proven track record of budget management and donor compliances;
- Proven track record of high quality proposal and report writing;
- Experience of managing projects funded by UN agencies will be highly preferred;
- Experience of managing team;
- Experience of managing large scale on food security and livelihoods, especially working on capacity building vocational trainings, Village Savings and Loans Associations (VSLAs) and business development model, WASH and GBV services, health and hygiene information and referral for COVID-19 will be highly preferred;
- Strong and Demonstrated experience of working with local partner organizations is required;
- Experience in capacity building of partners;
- Experience of working with INGO’s, National, Provincial and district governments;
- Demonstrated experience of gender sensitive programming.
- Comfortable in all aspects of managerial work, including managing large budgets and program support functions;
C) Technical Skills:
- Understanding of project management in complex emergencies and knowledge of humanitarian operations and governance in Pakistan;
- Develop and implement work plans in emergency context with rapidly changing situations;
- Good project/ budget management and people management skills. Working in strong consortium setting will be an added value;
- Capacity to build and manage partner relationships;
- Monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Critical analysis skills;
- Fluency in written and spoken English, Urdu. Pashto is desirable; knowledge of any other local language will be preferred;
- Excellent computer skills (MS office);
- Ability to present concise reports, sometimes at short notice, reflecting the problems and possible solutions for particular situations;
- Demonstrated ability to utilize participatory management tools;
- Managing project budget efficiently and optimum use of project resources.
- Project management, governance and advocacy;
- Technical writing and information analysis;
- Problem solving skills;
- Skills in, monitoring, evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL);
- Strong coordination skills with the ability to manage information including report writing and presentations;
- Ability to work in partnership with local communities and other INGOs;
- Ability to work independently and as a team player that demonstrates leadership;
- Awareness, sensitivity and understanding of cross-cultural issues in all situations;
- Ability to work independently and as a team player that demonstrates leadership and is able to support team in a sensitive and participatory manner.
A) General Accountability:
This post will be responsible and accountable for maintaining CARE’s program quality and accountability standards as set by CARE’s program manuals.
B) Financial Accountability:
This position has financial management responsibilities limited to the project budget. The position will participate in development and revision of operational budgets, in collaboration with Humanitarian Program Manager and core finance and other program staff.
IV. DUTY STATION AND LEVEL OF TRAVEL REQUIRED
The individual will be based in Islamabad, with frequent travelling to project implementation sites, and partners’ offices – 40% Islamabad and 60% field/project locations.
CARE International in Pakistan is an equal opportunity employer; only individuals who are shortlisted will be contacted for an interview. CARE has a zero-tolerance approach toward sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, and child abuse.
Note: Individuals can apply using Brightspyre or send their resumes directly to [email protected] clearly mentioning the position title in the subject line of the email, before the stated deadline. Please share your current as well as salary expectation along with the CV.